Storm prep Checklist from JCP&L
Storms bring heavy rain, lightning, high winds and downed trees, which could lead to
power outages. If your power goes out, follow these quick tips to be prepared and to
• Keep electronic devices such as cell phones, laptops and tablet computers fully
• Keep a flashlight, portable radio and extra batteries handy.
• If you have a water well and pump, keep an emergency supply of bottled water and/or
fill your bathtub with fresh water.
• Stock an emergency supply of convenience foods that do not require cooking.
• Never go near downed power lines, but report them immediately to JCP&L or your local
police or fire department.
• Never use a portable generator inside the house or a closed garage.
• Never use gas stoves, kerosene heaters or other open-flame heat sources to keep
warm. These sources of heat can cause deadly carbon monoxide gas to build up in
• Close curtain on the sunny side of your home to keep your house cool. Also, wear
lightweight clothing and drink plenty of water.
• Report any outages by calling 1-888-LIGHTSS (1-888-544-4877), or visiting
www.firstenergycorp.com and clicking the “Report Outage” link.
• For storm updates, follow us on Twitter @JCP_L, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/
JCPandL or online at www.jcp-l.com/outages.
• Subscribe to email and text message alert notifications to receive weather alerts and
updates on power outages. Our two-way text messaging also enables you to report
outages and request updates as needed.
For more information about staying connected, visit www.firstenergycorp.com/connect
More info on disaster planning can be found online here.